We have all been there.
We start to feel a little itch in our throat or the sneezes are starting to come on a little too often.
How can we avoid a full blown cold?
Look, I know there are lots of different things and tips people use, and we do more than what this list encompasses, but these are the top 5 things we do when we start to feel like we are coming down with something.
- Drink water like it’s your job – Everybody knows that water is good for you, but when you are sick, it is the best thing you can do. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. This is especially important if you are running a fever! For an added bonus, sip on some warm lemon water. It’ll help soothe your throat too!
- Rest – You feel like crap anyway, so use that excuse to sleep! There’s a reason why we feel run down when we are sick, because our body needs the extra rest to fight off whatever crud we have! And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call into your work and stay home! No one wants your germs, even if you have a project that’s creeping up on its deadline. You’ll figure it out. Best thing you can do is rest so you can get better, quicker!
- Vitamin D – We actually take this daily, so this is more of something we use as a preventative measure. Did you know that approximately 85% of us aren’t getting enough of our “sunshine vitamin”? (Source: Dr. Mercola) Vitamin D is especially important when it comes to fighting off infections, so we take this as a daily supplement.
- Essential Oils – We have been using doTERRA essential oils for over 4 years now. We use our diffuser daily (an amazing, non-toxic replacement for candles!) and when we need to boost our immune systems, we turn to certain blends to help! We love the On Guard® Protective Blend that provides a natural and effective alternative for immune support.* We also love Breathe® Respiratory Blend that helps maintain feelings of clear airways and easy breathing while minimizing the effects of seasonal threats! These are KEY when we are feeling yucky in the Williams’ household!
- Straighten up the diet – Every Google search I’ve ever done always says to CUT THE SUGAR! Sugar is a highly inflammatory food and when you are dealing with an attack on your immune system already, the last thing you need is your body to fight this off too! Best foods to stick to are bone broth (home made chicken soup – YUM!), citrus fruits like oranges (or the lemon water we talked about above), and some herbal teas!
Other things we do is take elderberry syrup, make sure we’re taking probiotics, and apple cider vinegar (Just did this for the first time a couple of weeks ago when feeling something and I think it really did help!!).
As much as we would love a for sure, no fail system that would allow us to never come down with the sniffles or sore throat ever again, these tips help us get through them quickly and more comfortably! We hope they help you too!
What things do you always reach for when you start to feel sick? Leave a comment and let us know!